Average Salary and Compensation
Web designer salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister sitezengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Web Designer is:
How to Hire a Web Designer
When hiring a web designer, first consider the following:
- Recruiting:Do you have the knowledge, tools, and resources to attract and screen candidates?
- Complexity:Do you need a senior professional, or will mid or junior-level skills and experience suffice?
- Duration:Is this a one-time project or an ongoing need?
- Management:Do you have the time and expertise to direct the work effectively?
- Urgency:How soon does the work need to be completed?
- Headcount:Do you have the budget and approval for an internal employee, or should you consider alternate options?
Answering these questions will help determine the best course of action for your current hiring need. Fortunately, great options exist for every scenario. These are our recommendations:
1. Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
The heavy lifting is done for you when working with a top-tier staffing company like 4 Corner Resources. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), saving you significant time and effort throughout the hiring process while you remain focused on your core business. Understanding your needs and ensuring the right candidate for the position is the key to our success.
This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You want access to a vast talent pool of high-quality, prescreened candidates
- You intend to hire on a temporary, contract, or contract-to-hire basis and direct the work activity
- You are hiring a direct employee but aren’t able to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff
- You aren’t familiar with current salary rates, market trends, and available skill sets
2. Hire an experienced freelancer
The freelance, or gig, economy continues to grow, with more talent available daily. Freelancers provide high-quality work without a long-term commitment. They can offer you a fresh perspective, more flexibility, and increase efficiency. While the freelance market isn’t ideal for every position, web designers are often a great fit.
We recommend this option when:
- Your need is project-based
- The work can be performed remotely
- You do not intend to direct the daily work activity
- You are hiring for expertise your internal team does not possess
- You do not require an employee to work onsite or follow a specific schedule
Here are two popular freelance platforms that we recommend when hiring a web designer:
Upwork is a freelance talent network that helps individuals connect with experts in a variety of fields to accomplish project-based needs. When you have a specific, well-defined goal in mind, this can be a great path to hiring an experienced web designer. If you are satisfied with the outcome you can continue to book the same freelancer through Upwork’s easy-to-use project interface.
Toptal is an exclusive network of the top freelance software developers, designers, finance experts, product managers, and project managers in the world. Toptal vets its freelancers before making them accessible, ensuring their legitimacy. Top companies hire Toptal freelancers for their most important projects. Hiring a web designer on Toptal can help you quickly get the results you need.
3. Advertise your opening on a top job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
There are many career sites out there. Here are the two we recommend for a web designer opening:
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
LinkedIn is a social network for job seekers, professionals, and businesses. With this popular job site, you can enhance your brand and advertise your open position to a wide audience of motivated, qualified candidates. Job postings on LinkedIn are also extremely streamlined and user-friendly, making it even easier for candidates to apply. Additionally, applicants can use their LinkedIn profile instead of a resume to expedite the process.
4. Leverage your internal resources
You can utilize your own website, social media, and employees to assist in your search for top candidates.
A company website posting should be the first step in notifying prospective candidates that you are hiring. Social media can also be a powerful tool for spreading the word about your new opening. As far as exposure is concerned, this option can be as good as some job boards when you have a large enough following across various platforms, like LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter.
Current employees are every organization’s greatest asset. Encourage your internal team to promote job openings to their network by offering cash and other incentives.
We recommend these options when:
- Your brand has great name recognition
- You can consistently monitor and respond to candidate activity through your website and social media accounts
- You have a process in place to quickly and broadly communicate job openings and requirements
- You have an effective employee referral program in place
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Job Descriptions
You should have
- Mastery of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and XD
- Familiarity with video editing software such as Adobe After Effects
- Knowledge of what developers can and cannot do for the web
- Passion for design in general with an understanding of critical core concepts
- A desire to continue learning and keeping up with the design industry
- An awesome portfolio showcasing experience in designing websites (specifically e-commerce) and ad banners
- Experience with Google Web Designer (highly preferred)
- Experience with project tools such as Basecamp, QuickBooks, and Google Docs (preferred)
- Knowledge of HTML and CSS (preferred)
- Experience presenting materials to clients professionally
- Ability to perform well under pressure and under short deadlines
- Excellent writing abilities
- Reliable transportation if working in-house
- A reliable workstation with a fast computer, microphone, speakers, reliable internet, and power if working remotely
Duties and tasks
- Designing unique and client-specific logos and brand guides from scratch
- Designing wireframes, website mockups, and other related graphics for both desktop and mobile devices based on creative briefs and other materials
- Designing both static and video banners for ad campaigns, remarketing, promos, and social media
- Drawing vector icons and other illustrations using the pen tool
- Designing print material such as brochures, letterheads, and business cards
- Attending and/or participating in client meetings and working with our Digital Producers to plan how to achieve the client goals through creative but proper design
- Collaborating with the copywriters, SEO team, developers, and other teams to establish the vision of the project, and analyze tradeoffs between usability and performance needs
- Preparing design files in order to properly hand-off to developers
- Ensuring that projects are completed according to schedule while effectively applying our methodology and following quality standards
Responsibilities and qualifications
- The web production design team is responsible for deciding and implementing how our client’s websites look and work
- “Web” is in the job title because the job is specifically focused on the web with specific skills in HTML and CSS
A day in the life
- Design/build customer sites using predefined layouts
- Design/build mockups based on the customer’s design guide
- Full understanding of the YM platform
- Communicate with all teams throughout the design process
- Manage time through two-week planning cycles
We are looking for someone who brings
- 2+ years in a web design/development role
- Ability to write/design using HTML and CSS
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, primarily Photoshop, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver
- Strong portfolio of relevant work
- Attention to the visual details
- Understanding of responsive design
- Well-organized and self-starter with a strong appetite for learning
- Ability to adhere to processes and deadlines
- Thrive as a collaborative team player!
- Strong understanding of design principles as they pertain to the web
- Experience with HTML5 and CSS3, with an emphasis on writing clean, compliant code
- Experience using frameworks such as Bootstrap is a plus
- Strong skills in problem-solving and collaboration with cross-functional team members
- A.S./B.S. degree in Web Design, Graphic Design, or a related discipline preferred
Responsibilities and qualifications
- Minimum of 5 years experience in web design
- Adobe Creative Cloud experience, specifically Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Strong familiarity with designing, developing, and modifying WordPress themes
- Knowledge of creating and deploying HTML email campaigns and managing email lists
- Demonstrable graphic design and typography skills with a strong portfolio
- Keep up to date with the latest web trends, techniques, and technologies
- Knowledge of Google Analytics and Tag Manager
- Experience in B2B landing page development, design, and deployment
- Adheres to web design standards
- Must be highly organized and able to work independently to meet deadlines
- Ability to solve problems creatively and effectively
- Previous work with b2b marketing
- Experience with motion graphics (Adobe AfterEffects and/or Premiere)
- Understanding of best SEO practices
- Zoho platform experience
- Agency and corporate experience is a plus
- Experience with PHP programming
- Microsoft Office 365
- Familiarity with SEMrush or similar tool
- Prototyping with Adobe XD, Figma
- Experience and knowledge of eCommerce platforms
- Incorporating new functionality into existing websites
- Preparing web design plans and presenting new website structures
- Excellent visual design skills
- Focus on website user experience and process improvement
- Keep up on the latest trends in site optimization
- Experience adding Google Featured Snippets to the website
- Integration of social media tracking tools such as Facebook Pixel and/or LinkedIn Insite Tags
- Utilizing tools such as Hotjar or Zoho PageSense to improve website conversion.
- Experience with optimizing landing pages and user funnels
- Knowledge or experience managing SEO/SEM marketing
Example 4 (Junior)
Our client is looking for a passionate, innovative, and collaborativeJunior Web Designerto join their team! The Junior Web Designer is responsible for designing and maintaining web-based projects for our clients. This person is a goal-oriented individual who possesses exceptional attention to detail and has outstanding interpersonal skills. You care about the culture and environment where you work, and you are going to take ownership of the time you spend with them and truly make an impact.
- Create Wireframes via Adobe XD or Photoshop (WordPress, Shopify, and WooCommerce)
- Create Web Design mock-ups via Adobe XD or Photoshop (WordPress, Shopify, and WooCommerce)
- Design and develop WordPress-based websites
- Design and develop landing pages for various marketing efforts
- Test and improve the design of websites (UI/UX/Responsiveness)
- Respond to WordPress, Shopify, or WooCommerce support tickets and requests
- Design and/or optimize graphics and visuals for websites while ensuring they are in line with client branding as well as best SEO practices
- Work with Project Managers and clients to identify requirements and project goals
- Test and verify with team members and clients that solutions will meet the business requirements
- Participate in meetings with clients including creative meetings, design reviews, demos, and end-user training
- Integrate various third-party applications to websites based on client needs and project scope (MailChimp, Constant Contact, HubSpot, etc.)
- Work collaboratively in a team setting, as well as independently
- 1-2 years experience designing, building, and managing WordPress websites and knowledge of WordPress best practices
- Experience working with WP Bakery Page Builder or similar
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, XD)
- Experience with reading and editing HTML/CSS
- Experience with WooCommerce preferred
- Experience with Shopify preferred
- Strong design skills and ability to follow branding guidelines
- Understanding of UI/UX principles
- Excellent communication skills with clients and team members
- Experience with tight-turnaround times
- Ability to handle multiple projects and collaborate with clients and other departments
- High levels of self-motivation
- Ability to create new compelling and competent designs
- Attention to detail and the ability to effectively multi-task in a deadline-driven atmosphere
Example 5 (Senior)
ABC Company is looking for a senior web designer to create game-changing digital display advertising formats that differentiate our advertising business and set a new high mark across our industry. This role will join a special task force within the Advertising department dedicated to reimagining and redesigning our core digital display ad formats. You will lead the design development for a new suite of ad units, starting with research, UI/UX explorations, collaborating with technical partners to invent the underlying architecture, and finally designing an executable style guide for these products. Someone who is curious, insightful, and inspired to create a totally new design system that is flexible, innovative, and above all else exactingly crafted will succeed in this role.
- Initiate and conduct internal user research with our team to identify pain points and opportunities for improvement to understand the core needs of this new system.
- Develop an intuitive UX schema that encompasses a workflow starting with our advertisers and ending with our audience’s impression of world-class premium display ads.
- Imagine new ways for users to interact with our display ads.
- Design a comprehensive UI style guide in coordination with our technical team which is adaptive and responsive, and elevates the end-user experience.
- Oversee the execution from a visual perspective to ensure that what we build is what we’ve designed with a critical eye for specifics.
- Work with internal partners to test and optimize the units for better end performance after launch.
- 4+ years of relevant product, web, and UI/UX design experience
- A portfolio of work that showcases your problem-solving process along with exceptional finished design work. Applications without portfolios will not be considered.
- Experience building Atomic or equivalent design systems for responsive and/or adaptive web.
- Proficiency in design tools like Figma, and collaboration software including Google Workspace, Slack, & Jira.
- Able to create production-ready design deliverables, and prepare the necessary documentation to help capture the details of our design choices.
- Work with engineers to ensure the visual quality of what we release.
- Able to present design decisions to a variety of audiences both creative and not.
- Demonstrated typographic sensibility, with an understanding of the nuances of type on the screen.
- Some understanding of the interaction between underlying technologies used to build modern digital experiences (no coding experience is required).
- Capable multitaskers who deftly prioritize their work in a fast-paced environment, and who manage their time well under tight deadlines.
- Driven self-starter with a positive and collaborative attitude.
- Enthusiastic about the mission of ABC Company.
Sample Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- Where do you see yourself in five years? In ten?
- What makes you a good fit for this company?
- What sparked your interest in working as a web designer?
- What project are you most proud of?
- How do you work in a team? How have you handled conflict in the past?
- How do you communicate your designs with web developers? What about with clients?
- How comfortable are you with HTML and CSS?
- What do you think is the next big thing in web design?
- How do you stay up to date with the latest technology in the field?
- How do you handle a client who doesn’t like your designs?