Table of contents
- Who is a Data Analyst
- How to become a Data Analyst?
- Important Tools used by Data Analysts
- Data Analyst Roles and Responsibilities
- Types of Data Analytics
- A Day in the Life of a Data Analyst
- Data Analysts vs. Data Scientists
- Data Analysts
- Data Scientists
- Data Analyst Salary Trends
- Salaries Based on Roles
- Salaries Based on Industry
- Data Analyst Salary based on Location
Data Analysts are in high demand across various industries. Through the course of this blog, we’ll learn more about the salary of Data Analyst in India, their job description, and what a typical day in the life of a data analyst may look like.
Let’s get started!
- Who is a Data Analyst?
– Job Description
- How to become a Data Analyst
– Skills Required
– Important tools used
- Data Analyst Roles and Responsibilities
- Types of Data Analytics
- A Day in the Life of a Data Analyst
- Data Analysts Versus Data Scientists
- Data Analyst: Salary Trends
– Salaries based on Roles
– Salaries based on Industry
– Data Analyst Salary based on Location
Who is a Data Analyst
Data Analyst Job Description
A Data Analyst, by definition, is a person who collects and evaluates data on sales numbers, market research, logistics, and other such behaviors. They essentially bring technical expertise into the organization to ensure the quality and accuracy of that data. They then process it, design it, and present it in ways to help people and businesses make better decisions.
Data Analytical jobs, by description, include gathering and cleaning data in order to uncover trends and business insights. However, a day-to-day job of a data analyst tends to vary depending upon various factors. This can be the industry, the company, or the specialty of data analytics considered. Most often, data analysts coordinate with IT teams, management, and data scientists in order to determine their organizational goals.
Data analysts are responsible for various tasks and duties; right fromcreating dashboards and programming to designing databases and utilizing intelligent software, they play a vital role in different departments throughout their organization. Most often, they pinpoint important trends, correlations as well as patterns in complex data sets to identify new opportunities for improvement.
Read more on What is Data Science?
How to become a Data Analyst?
Considering data science to be a vast domain, it is essential for an analyst to have a versatile skill set in their profile. There are several paths to becoming a Data Analyst, however, in general, a set of specific skills and tools can aid well in the process.
Skills Required to become a Data Analyst
- Programming Languages (R/SAS): It is essential that data analysts are proficient in at least one language and have good knowledge in the working of a few more. Programming languages such as R or SAS are used by data analysts to gather clean data for statistical analysis, and data visualization.
- Creative and Analytical Thinking: Creative and analytical thinking are key attributes of a good data analyst. While it is vital to have a strong background in statistical methods, it is also extremely important to be able to think critically through problems with a creative and analytical lens.
- Effective Communication: Communication skills always prove to be an advantage — whether it is for an audience or a team of executives making business decisions.
- Data Visualization: While effective data visualization takes trial and error, to be successful as a data analyst, it is important to understand how to visualise data for best outcomes.
- SQL Databases: SQL databases are essentially a set of relational databases with structured data. Here, data is stored in tables and an analyst will pull information from different tables in order to perform analysis.
- Database Querying Languages: A popular querying language used by data analysts is SQL. There are variations of this language that exist, it includes PostreSQL, T-SQL, PL/SQL (Procedural Language/SQL) from many others.
- Data Mining, Cleaning and Munging: When data has not been neatly stored in a database, data analysts use other tools in order to gather unstructured data.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel: Having a good handle on excel and advanced analytics techniques will only prove to be helpful for a successful Data analyst.
- Machine Learning: Although it is not a specific demand, Data analysts with machine learning skills are considered to be incredibly valuable.
Also read: Critical Skill Sets that make a Data Scientist
- Google Analytics (GA): GA is an essential tool that helps analysts in gaining an understanding of customer data and trends that need improvement on landing pages or calls to action (CTAs).
- Tableau: Tableau is highly used by analysts to aggregate and analyze data. It allows them to create and share dashboards with different team members.
- Jupyter Notebook system: Jupyter notebooks simplify the work of data analysts when it comes to testing code. Usually, non-technical people prefer the simple design of jupyter notebooks due to its easy interface and features.
- Github: Github is a platform to share and build technical projects. It is a must for any data analysts to work with this tool, especially for object-oriented programming.
Data Analyst Roles and Responsibilities
Let’s talk about the roles and responsibilities of a data analyst:
- To create and manage the database and data systems
- To define goals and data assets required for a business
- Working on digging out data from various qualifies sources
- Interpreting data for various parties such as clients, owners, and other stakeholders
- To enhance and update the reporting systems
- To develop different data mapping techniques for intricate business inquiries
- Conducting an analysis of consumer behaviour based on latest trends
- Devising a suitable methodology and process to derive a positive outcome
Types of Data Analytics
Breaking down data analytics revolves around answering questions and making decisions. Just like there are different types of questions, there also exist different types of data analytics. While there is no specific set-in-stone glossary of these types of data analytics, ScienceSoft breaks it down into four primary areas:
- Descriptive analytics answers – What happened?
- Diagnostic analytics answers – Why did something happen?
- Predictive analytics answers – What is likely to happen?
- Prescriptive analytics answers – What action should be taken?
Based on what an analyst is trying to accomplish, they can tailor their work to fit into the scenario.
A Day in the Life of a Data Analyst
The day-to-day functions tend to differ at various levels, based on the role, title or industry, However, a generic day of a data analyst involves:
- Checking emails and maintaining dashboards.
- Demonstrating and deep driving technical expertise in solving real world retail problems.
- Collaborating with team members both within and outside the data science team to create and deliver quality output.
- Acting as an SME on the floor to help in building data science capabilities
- Preparation of monthly, weekly or bi-weekly plans by prioritising requests from managers, partners and clients.
- Translating data into actionable insights.
- Creating reports of unique trends or patterns.
- Identifying areas of opportunity to automate and scale ad-hoc analyses.
Also read: Step-by-Step Guide to Becoming a Data Scientist
Data Analysts vs. Data Scientists
Another prominent role in the field of Data Sciences is that of a Data Scientist. While it is safe to say that there exists a certain overlap between the two, there are significant differences between data analysts and data scientists. Based on skills and job duties, here are a few major differences between them:
- Have moderate mathematical, statistical and coding skills
- Have a strong business acumen
- Create visualisations and analysations data
- Utilise business intelligence to achieve their goals
- Have extremely strong mathematical, statistical and coding skills
- Help in identification of trends with machine learning
- Make predictions based on data trends
- Write codes for the assistance of data analysis
The roles of both data analysts and scientists are very closely integrated with each other, however, their strengths and responsibilities tend to change depending on the organization.
Data Analyst Salary Trends
Before applying to jobs, the most commonly looked at factor is the salaries associated with it. Salaries in this field tend to vary based on roles, skills, locations, and numerous other characteristics.
Here are some points to note for Data Analyst/Scientist job trends in India:
- India contributes to 6% of job openings worldwide, in this field.
- The total number of data science and analytics jobs in India is equivalent to 97,000.
- 97% of the jobs are on a full time basis and 3% of them are on part-time basis.
- There has been an increase of 45% of the total jobs in this sphere since 2018.
According to PayScale.com the yearly average salary of a data analyst or a data scientist between the years of 2019 and 2020, in India is Rs. 818,099. According to further statistics, their average bonus is a total of Rs. 100,473 and their average profit sharing is Rs 36,667.
Salaries Based on Roles
Entry Level Salary in Data Analyst
An average entry Level Data Analyst/Scientist in India can make around Rs 507,269 annually. This essentially includes starters with little background and skill. However, by continuously evolving with the progression of jobs, their salary graph has an upward scale.
Junior Level Salary in Data Analysts/Scientists
Junior Data Analysts/Scientists with experience of at least 2 years in the field earn an average salary of Rs 9,21,957 annually.
Senior Level Salary in Data Analyst/Scientist
A Senior Data Analyst/Scientist with a considerable amount of experience earns an average salary of Rs. 18,21,795 in India.
Salaries Based on Industry
The industry of employment plays an essential role in impacting the salaries of Data analysts and scientists. Here is a table that portrays the kind of salaries earned by Data analysts and scientists in different industries.
|Industry||Annual Salary in Rs.|
|Consumer Goods||1.3 M|
|Energy and Mining||1.2 M|
|Media and Communications||1 M|
|Corporate Services||1 M|
Looking to find a data analyst job in the US? Learn about Which Industries Pay the Highest Data Analyst Salary in the U.S.? and upskill today.
Data Analyst Salary based on Location
Depending on where you are situated, your data analyst salary may vary. There are certain cities that may offer a higher salary when compared to other locations in the country.
If you are working in Bangalore, Karnataka, as a data analyst, you may earn an average of 18.7% more than the national average salary. A data analyst in Gurgaon, Haryana may earn 6.7% more than the national average and 3.8% more than the national average in Pune, Maharashtra. The lowest data analyst salary in India may be found in Mumbai. It is 7.7% lesser than the national average salary. And 7.2% less in Chennai when compared to 6.2% less in New Delhi, according to payscale.
If you are situated in the United States, here are the salaries in a few of the major locations according to Robert Half.
- Washington, DC: $141,645
- San Francisco: $151,230
- New York: $149,633
- Chicago: $132,060
- Phoenix: $125,670
- Boston: $142,710
If you are someone looking to get into this field, with the current salary trends and demand for the subject, now would be the right time to up-skill and take advantage of the Data Science career opportunities that exist today. Explore a career in Data Science. You can also refer to the and enhance your knowledge before any upcoming interviews.
Average data analyst salary
As per Ambitionbox, dated 12/30/2022, the data analyst salary in India's ranges from ₹ 1.8 Lakhs to ₹ 11.4 Lakhs, with an annual average wage of ₹ 4.2 Lakhs.
Data professional's salaries are one of the highest in IT:
Believe it or not, Data Analyst salaries average higher than IT salaries. The annual average salary for these professionals is ₹600,000 in India. The salary has significantly increased over the years.
Entry Level Salary in Data Analyst
An average entry Level Data Analyst/Scientist in India can make around Rs 507,269 annually.
The average data scientists salary is ₹698,413. An entry-level data scientist can earn around ₹500,000 per annum with less than one year of experience. Early level data scientists with 1 to 4 years experience get around ₹610,811 per annum.Does data analyst have future in India? ›
To meet industry standards, they must standardize their data storage and security measures. As a result, the future scope of data analytics in India is on a steady rise. It has now become a promising career option due to high demand and better salaries.Are data analyst in demand in India? ›
A huge 45% increase in jobs in the Indian market is a result of data analytics requirements. The gap in the demand and supply of these professionals is constantly increasing because there is a sharp learning curve and a high skill set that is required in the field.What is the highest salary of analyst in India? ›
Analyst salary in India ranges between ₹ 2.2 Lakhs to ₹ 12.5 Lakhs with an average annual salary of ₹ 4.7 Lakhs.Which job has highest salary in India? ›
- Medical Professionals (Doctors and Surgeons)
- Data Scientist.
- Machine Learning Experts.
- Blockchain Developer.
- Full Stack Software Developer.
- Product Management.
- Management Consultant.
- Investment Banker.
TCS or TATA Consultancy Services is one of the leading technology and data analytics platform with a wide range of data analyst jobs. The data analyst's salary starts from Rs. 4 lakhs per annum and can reach up to Rs. 54 lakhs per annum.Will data analyst salary increase? ›
LinkedIn's Workforce Report for 2021 notes that demand for data analysts continues to rise across industries in the United States. While some industries pay more than others, a data analyst can expect to earn a healthy salary in all areas of industry and at all levels of experience.
In 2022, more than half of all businesses around the globe view data analytics as a core component of their operations. With the ever-increasing amount of data being created, the need for qualified Data Analysts to analyze it is at an all-time high and will likely continue to increase in the coming years.Is data analyst high paying? ›
According to Payscale, entry-level data analysts earn an average annual salary of USD 44,000 with the median salary going up to USD 61,593. But as one gains more experience as a data analyst, the salary increases. The highest salary for a data analyst in the US stands at USD 86,000.Which country pays more for data analyst? ›
Average annual data analyst salary in India: Over ₹9,50,000. Average annual data analyst salary in USA: Over $65,000. Average annual data analyst salary in United Kingdom: Over £27000. Average annual data analyst salary in Canada: Over C$56000.What is a senior analyst salary in India? ›
Senior Analyst salary in India ranges between ₹ 3.1 Lakhs to ₹ 15.0 Lakhs with an average annual salary of ₹ 6.0 Lakhs.Is it hard to get a job of data analyst in India? ›
It is a lot easier to get a job in data analytics than in data science. Most data science positions require you to have a post-graduate degree in a quantitative field. However, most data analysts I know come from a completely unrelated background and do not possess technical degrees.Is data analyst a good career in 2023? ›
Data analysts are in high demand, and the demand for data analysis is increasing in organizations. The data analyst job market is expected to grow at a rate of 18% by 2024. The reason for this is that companies need to analyze big amounts of data and turn them into insights to make better decisions.Is data analytics a good career in 2023? ›
Yes, data analytics is a very good career. Simply put, there has never been a better time to be a data professional. About 2.5 quintillion bytes of data are created every day—and that pace is only quickening.What is the scope of data analyst in 2023? ›
What is the Scope of Data Analytics in 2023? The world is witnessing a surge in demand for data analytics services. According to a report, it is expected that there will be 250,000 new openings in the Data Analytics field in 2023, which is almost 60% higher than the demand in 2019-20.Which company is best for data analyst in India? ›
- Mu Sigma Analytics.
- Fractal Analytics.
- Latent View.
- Tiger Analytics.
- UST Global.
|Total Data Analyst Jobs:||821|
|Lowest 10 Percent Earn:||$57,000|
|Highest 10 Percent Earn:||$111,000|
What is a good salary for India? Ans. A decent earning and average salary in India is around INR 3 LPA. If you earn up to INR 25K in a month, you earn a decent salary.What is the best salary structure in India? ›
Note: The salary structures is updated effective FY 2021-2022.
|DA||5% of CTC|
|HRA||50% of Basic + DA if metro and 40% if non-metro|
The future of Big Data Analytics will all about be harnessing the potential of Machine Learning (ML) and Artificial Intelligence (AI). In fact, AI and ML are the core principles of Augmented Data Management.Which is the No 1 job in India? ›
1. Business Management. Business Management or Business analysts are the highest paying jobs in India. These people can easily get a package of 20 to 30 lakh rupees yearly as a fresher.Which job has 1 lakh salary per month in India? ›
There are many high-paying jobs in India for which the net salary crosses 1 lakhs. Some of these jobs include Indian Administrative Services, Indian Police Services, various defence services, ISRO and DRDO engineers and scientists jobs, many assistant professors jobs, etc.How to make 80k a month? ›
- Senior Product Manager – Remote. new. ...
- Lead Specialist (Expertise in Springboot, Microservices, ReactJS and Cloud) Convera. ...
- Design Partner Delhi NCR. HomeLane - DP Hiring. ...
- Financial Consultant. Dynatech Systems Pvt. ...
- Design Partner Hyderabad. ...
- Java Developer. ...
- Area Manager. ...
- Business Development Manager.
In 2022, Chicago, Illinois, and Austin, Texas, ranked as the top two cities for those searching for employment. They both offer steady job growth projections. Orlando, Florida, is another good option for Data Analysts, as this city experienced a 12.2% increase in jobs last year.What is the highest salary of senior data analyst in India? ›
Senior Data Analyst salary in India ranges between ₹ 3.0 Lakhs to ₹ 20.8 Lakhs with an average annual salary of ₹ 8.0 Lakhs.What is the salary of Python data analyst in India? ›
The national average salary for a Python Data Analyst is ₹83,065 in India.Can you make 100k as a data analyst? ›
Candidates with advanced skills or at least three years of work experience on their resume can earn an average salary of over $100,000 per year.
Data analysts make from $43,000 to six-figure salaries, with the potential to earn even more in bonuses, commissions, and profit-sharing. Many analysts advance to higher-paying roles.Is there still demand for data analysts? ›
Data analyst roles are particularly in demand within the data science field. This is because businesses want to transform their data into insights that give a clear overview of their business. Quantitative analysis is an important technical skill that allows you to analyse immense datasets.Will data analyst be replaced? ›
While most machines are replacing people, it is a known fact that artificial intelligence will never be able to replace data analysis. Instead, they complement one another to increase each other's efficiency. This is true for a number of noteworthy reasons.Is data analyst a stressful job? ›
Several data professionals have defined data analytics as a stressful career. So, if you are someone planning on taking up data analytics and science as a career, it is high time that you rethink and make an informed decision.Is data analyst a happy career? ›
According to Payscale reviews from 3,118 respondents, data analysts report a job satisfaction rating of 3.75 out of five.Is data analyst in demand in USA? ›
According to the BLS, employment of operations and research analysts (including data analysts) is projected to grow 23% from 2021 to 2031, which BLS rates as much faster than the average for all occupations.Why are data analysts paid so much? ›
Data analysts use mathematical and analytical methods to transform data into better data-driven business decisions. As the amount of data available to businesses increases, so too does the demand for skilled data analysts to process and interpret it. Data analysts are typically paid well for their skills.Is IT worth becoming a data analyst? ›
While the types of jobs you'll be qualified for vary slightly, all of them are well-paid. For example, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median salary of a data scientist in May 2021 was $100,910. This salary alone makes a Data Analytics degree worthwhile.How much is a data analyst paid in USA? ›
The national average salary for a Data Analyst is $72,282 in United States.Is data analyst a good career in USA? ›
Skilled data analysts are some of the most sought-after professionals in the world. Because the demand is so strong, and the supply of people who can truly do this job well is so limited, data analysts command huge salaries and excellent perks, even at the entry-level.
Excel Callnet Data Analyst Salary FAQs
Average Excel Callnet Data Analyst salary in India is ₹ 4.1 Lakhs for experience between 2 years to 11 years. Data Analyst salary at Excel Callnet India ranges between ₹ 3.0 Lakhs to ₹ 5.5 Lakhs.
Quality Analyst salary in India ranges between ₹ 1.6 Lakhs to ₹ 8.0 Lakhs with an average annual salary of ₹ 3.6 Lakhs. Salary estimates are based on 50.7k latest salaries received from Quality Analysts.What type of analyst makes the most money? ›
Salaries vary greatly depending on role. Hardware and networking analysts and consultants typically earn more than, say, market research analysts (a more common role).How much does a Junior Data Analyst make in India? ›
Junior Data Analyst salary in India ranges between ₹ 1.5 Lakhs to ₹ 9.0 Lakhs with an average annual salary of ₹ 3.8 Lakhs.Can I become data analyst in 3 months? ›
You can make use of the playlists to lean skills needed for a data analyst in 3 months. Remember this important point doing practical work is important than theory. Spend 20% time on theory and 80% time on implementing it.Do data analysts need to code? ›
Do Data Analysts Code? Some Data Analysts do have to code as part of their day-to-day work, but coding skills are not typically required for jobs in data analysis.Can data analyst work from home? ›
As the data market grows and remote work continues to rise, data analysts will increasingly find opportunities for flexible, location-independent work. While it may prove more difficult for entry-level analysts to find a remote position, it's certainly possible.Is data analyst a good salary? ›
According to Payscale, in the US, newly-qualified data analysts (i.e. those with less than a year of experience) earn an average annual income of $56,590. In a data analyst's first four years, this figure can rise to around $61,234.Is data analyst a high paying job? ›
The national average salary for data analysts is $67,196 per year . If you're looking for a high-paying job in data analytics, it can be helpful to learn about some careers that earn more than the average.What is the salary of junior data analyst in India? ›
Junior Data Analyst salary in India ranges between ₹ 1.5 Lakhs to ₹ 9.0 Lakhs with an average annual salary of ₹ 3.8 Lakhs.
Data analytics is a fast-growing field and it will continue to grow over the next decade. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) estimates 22% growth through 2030, which is considered much faster than average.Which country has highest demand for data analyst? ›
- United States. Data scientists in the US are paid handsome salaries amounting to USD 165,000 on average per year. ...
- Switzerland. In Switzerland, data scientists earn an average salary of USD140,000 annually. ...
- UK. ...
- Australia. ...
- Israel. ...
- China. ...
- Canada. ...
It is a lot easier to get a job in data analytics than in data science. Most data science positions require you to have a post-graduate degree in a quantitative field. However, most data analysts I know come from a completely unrelated background and do not possess technical degrees.